To provide education to expectant couples that will help them to experience a healthy pregnancy and birth, while increasing their knowledge and confidence and living their dreams.
The Goals of our Prenatal Courses are to:
- allow expectant couples the opportunity to learn about their pregnancies and upcoming labour and birth.
- provide opportunities to practice techniques that will be of assistance to them during labour and birth.
- foster new relationships with other expectant couples attending our course.
- teach expectant couples basic techniques and preparation related to caring for their newborns and themselves in the postpartum period.
- provide breastfeeding information.
- support new friendships by organizing class reunions within the first couple of months postpartum.
- create a fun, stress-free learning environment.
Our prenatal classes are designed to encourage group participation and sharing of knowledge.
We use a variety of teaching techniques: discussion, videos/DVD’s, small group format, practice sessions and guest speakers.
- We feel learning is enhanced when you have the opportunity to try things out; therefore, much time is spent in the classes on the floor practicing positions, breathing techniques, massages, etc.
- We also have you practice with dolls to learn the correct positions to hold baby when breastfeeding.
- Partners and family are very important in creating a supportive environment for the mother when in labour and postpartum. Therefore, we encourage partner involvement and spend time ensuring they know how to support the mother-to-be.
- We feel it is important to be aware of your choices and all the possible situations that can occur during labour/birth and postpartum. Therefore we discuss all the potential scenarios that may occur: the need for analgesia (pain control), caesarean births, induction of labour, etc.
- We feel it is important to provide you with current, evidence-based information; therefore, we regularly attend conferences and workshops and consult with the local hospitals to ensure we are teaching as per the standards and practices.
- We also feel it is important to ensure that you and your baby remain safe and healthy therefore, safety issues are discussed in class. We provide you with the latest safety policies and directives issued by Health Canada, Canadian Pediatric Association, etc.